Hey everyone! I’m participating in today’s challenge over at the /Facebook Group in conjunction with and creating a little sumthin’-sumthin’ using a new watercolor technique!
My technique for today (that I’ve been so excited to share!!) is using the Distress Oxide Inks with water on Glossy Cardstock, then using a homemade “resist spray” with embossing powder, and finishing it up with Distress Micro Glaze! Sounds kind of glitter tumblr backgrounds 2018 intense, but it’s really not. I promise. I’d never lie to you.
First, let me show you my card!
Isn’t it, cool?!!? I just love learning new techniques and I hope that this doesn’t scare you off because it’s SO EASY!! These colors are gorgeous together, too. (Don’t mind my crummy light in the photos below, but I thought you might want to see what I was talking about.)
1. Pick out 3 colors of Distress Oxide Inks and smoosh them onto your craft mat. Spritz with water so that the ink beads up.
2. Run the glossy cardstock through the ink so that it is coated with the ink. Don’t be shy. Dry between coats! Use up the ink on your mat. If it looks like you’re missing/not getting one of the colors? Smoosh more, spritz it, and run the cardstock back through. Just be sure to heat set it between.
3. The finished cardstock will look very colorful and a tad cloudy. This is PERFECT!!
4. Die-cut images/shapes (or wait til later depending on end result desired after next steps). I’m using the for my card.
5. Make your own “Resist Spray”!! Using a Mini Mister add 1 part Glossy Accents to 1 part water (50% Glossy Accents to 50% water). Anything you spray this on will be ridiculously STICKY. No joke. Don’t spray on your craft mat. Use a shoe box or something. Please!!
6. Spritz onto your die-cuts (IN THE SHOEBOX!!!) and then sprinkle Navy Metallic embossing powder onto the wet areas. Heat emboss. It will get very bumpy and raised and soooo amazing! The more you spritz? The more of an effect you’ll get. Keep that in mind. This can also be used with stencils, but you’ll want to have a tub of water nearby. Got it? ;)
7. After your die-cuts are spritzed they can now be coated to protect and bring out the color of the Distress Oxides using the Distress Micro Glaze. Dip a sponge applicator very lightly into the container of the glaze and sponge over the surface. Buff off any excess with a paper towel or cloth. If you do this without the resist spray? You’ll see how gorgeous the colors are. It’s STUNNING how amazing this technique is. I’m just bumping it up a notch. I just love texture.
8. Stamp the sentiment in Versamark Ink and heat emboss using the Navy Metallic Embossing Powder.
9. Adhere the balloon die-cuts in place leaving the end of the balloon unattached for the moment.
10. Stamp a smaller sentiment onto a piece of dark navy cardstock using Versamark Ink and white embossing powder. Tear the end of the strip of paper. Adhere with foam squares.
11. Under the balloon ends attach twine with Multi Medium, Matte. Place blocks on top til dry. Once dry tie end in a bow and adhere once more.
12. Die-cut stars from glitter paper and adhere to balloons and other areas. Card is complete! YAY!!
Here is a close-up! Look at all the bumpy awesomeness from the custom resist spray. I love all that fun texture!
The texture just slays me! I want to use this spray for a few more things. See what else I can pull out of my bag of tricks.
Making your own “resist spray” allows you to try it without the commitment without a larger purchase. And if you DO like it, maybe you’d want to buy the product that’s designed specifically for this use? Also, the original inking technique is TONS of fun. You’ll be creating backgrounds all day long once you get started. They’re just so fun and easy.
I hope that you’re enjoying the collaboration today and will participating by trying out a new watercolor technique yourself.
Thank you to Nicole from for inviting the (and team) to play along today. I’ve had way too much fun!
All my supplies are listed below and linked to shop for your convenience. Wishing you a wonderful and colorful day!
All star shoes red 2018
Greg kinnear modern family photo
Neon green prom dresses 2018
Collarless dress shirt 2018
White maxi wedding dress 2018
Cute long sleeve dresses 2019