How To Import A Car From Japan - The No BS Version | JAPAN101
How to Import a Car from Japan to USA
Japanese cars are built well and look great, and if you’ve lived in Japan you may want to keep your car to drive in America, or you may be an American wanting to buy a car directly from Japan. Learn the steps necessary to importing a car from Japan so it’s ready to drive in the USA!
Finding and Inspecting a Japanese Car
Visit Japan or look online.Find the car you want by visiting car dealers or auctions in Japan, have a friend do this for you, or search online for a car. Or choose to import a car you already own and keep in Japan.
Look for a compliant car.Check your own car or buy a car that conforms to U.S. standards for safety and emissions by checking official lists for vehicles that conform or can be modified to conform to all requirements.
Inspect the vehicle for valid stickers.Check to see if the vehicle complies with U.S. standards by inspecting or having the vehicle inspected by someone else for two different stickers. Look for a Department of Transportation (DOT) sticker in the doorjamb on the driver’s side of the car, and an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) sticker on the car’s engine.
- If either of these stickers are missing, you will need to get a letter or certificate from the certified manufacturer of the car that states that the car meets U.S. standards.
- If you are importing a vehicle that is 25 years old or older, it does not need to conform to EPA and DOT requirements, although you will still need to complete EPA and DOT paperwork in order to clear your vehicle through Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
Get an independent importer for a nonconforming car.If the vehicle does not meet U.S. safety and emissions standards, you will need to import it through an independent commercial importer (ICI) to perform modifications to make the car EPA compliant, or a registered importer (RI) to make DOT-approved safety modifications, before it is released to you. Note that some vehicles may not be eligible for these importer modifications.
- Consult the Environmental Protection Agency’s website to find an ICI before you begin the process of importing your vehicle.Refer to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to locate an RI.
- The advantage of using an ICI or an RI is that you may be able to import the vehicle you wish even if it doesn’t comply with U.S. standards to begin with. However, the disadvantage is that the fees associated with modifying and importing a car in this way are very high.
Fill out the EPA Form 3520-1.Complete this Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) form, which can be obtained online and completed in advance of importing the vehicle. You’ll need detailed information about the vehicle make and model, the status and use of the vehicle, and the ICI (if applicable).
Fill out the DOT Form HS-7.Complete this Department of Transportation (DOT) form, which you can download and complete in advance of importing. You’ll need information about the vehicle make and model, the date and port of entry into the U.S., and the RI (if applicable).
Complete the CBP Form 7501.Fill out this form with details about the vehicle and its value as evidence of the import through Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Complete this form at a valid CBP port (usually wherever it first enters the U.S.). You’ll need:
- Valid proof of ownership: the original certificate of title or a certified copy of the original
- Manufacturer’s letter/certificate: states that the vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA and DOT standards (you do not need this if the vehicle already has valid stickers)
- Completed EPA Form 3520-1 and DOT Form HS-7.
Shipping the Car
Have the car cleaned before shipment.Arrange for the vehicle to be steam-sprayed or cleaned thoroughly directly before shipment in order for it to pass the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s requirement to remove foreign soil from the undercarriage of imported cars.
Choose a carrier.Find a vehicle shipment company to transport your car to the U.S., and have them notify you of the arrival date so you can submit your paperwork to Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
- The shipping process should take approximately 10-17 days at ,500-4,200 US Dollars, depending on the vehicle and the port of entry.
Pick up your vehicle at the port.Choose the port nearest to you to have your vehicle shipped to; most shipping companies will ship to ports all over the U.S. Note that the first port of entry into the U.S. is where the vehicle will be checked through Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
- If you cannot be present at the first port of entry, you will need to employ a CBP broker to handle your entry.Most shipping companies will also require a notarized letter of authorization for anyone other than you to pick up the car.
Preparing to Drive the Car in the U.S.
Pay any duty fees.Pay a duty fee on your vehicle based on the price you paid for it or its blue book value. Duty rates are 2.5% on cars and 24% on trucks. You may be able to use an exemption toward this fee if you are a U.S. resident; check with Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to confirm this.
Pay federal tax.Depending on the type of your car, some imported vehicles are subject to the U.S. gas-guzzler tax. Pay the tax if your vehicle has a fuel economy rating of less than 22.5 miles per gallon, which can be determined by the manufacturer or an independent professional in the U.S.
Obtain valid license plates and registration.Register your imported car and acquire state license plates from your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Ask what documents they need from you or Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to complete these measures for a foreign car. You may also need or want to obtain an International Registration Marker.
QuestionI want to ship a car from Japan to Utah, what do I have to do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFirst check if the car is legal to drive or if you need a special permit, like the Nissan Skyline GTR R34 is not legal and same with the Nissan Silvia S15.Thanks!
QuestionCan I ship our 2015 Suzuki APV-GA van from the Philippines to Washington State, USA for our one-year stay in the USA?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou're better off selling the van in the Philippines and buying something used in the U.S. You'll save shipping costs, and you won't have to worry about whether your Suzuki van is road legal in America.Thanks!
QuestionI understand that I can import a Japanese car 25 years or older. Can the steering wheel be on the right?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerCars in the US are not required to be left-hand-drive. For example, most postal trucks are right-hand-drive here in the United States.Thanks!
Can I ship my 2003 Subaru Legacy from Japan to California?
If the port of entry is in a different state than where I reside, how can I register the vehicle temporarily to drive to my residence?
The car I want to import has an odometer problem. It is digital, and the display is broken. Is it still legal to import to the USA, even if I must fix it before registering it?
I want to ship a Toyota Aqua Hybrid car to Baltimore! Is this possible?
I want to ship a Nissan Stagea from Japan to Wisconsin in the United States. Is this possible and will the car be road legal?
- Get in touch with the CBP, EPA, and DOT for any questions you have about making sure your imported car conforms to U.S. regulations and is ready to drive once it enters the U.S.
- It is illegal to sell an imported car without entering it through Customs and Border Protection, so make sure you follow the whole process even if you plan to sell the car right away.
- Don’t attempt to transport personal items in an imported car. The vehicle will not be accepted by many shippers and carriers if it contains personal items, and even if it is, it will be subject to theft during transport and every item must be declared through CBP on arrival into the U.S.
Video: How To Import a Japanese Car
How to Remove Lice Using Tea Tree Oil
All the New Movies TV Shows Coming To Netflix In July
Tips to control hair fall in women and men
How to Place Houseplants Around Your Home
Why Do Cyclists Wear Tight Bike Shorts
How to Create a Technical Graphic
Moroccanoil Launches Candle, More Products We Want In CandleForm
How to Cite a Dictionary Website
Beauty Recipe: What You Need for Beautiful MatteMakeup
Paying It Forward From One MSer to Another
40 Awesome Jazzed Up Fishtail Braid Hairstyles
Cooking with Herbs 101
How to Be Optimistic About Everything
Game of Thrones Fans Spotted Clues That Daenerys Might Not Be Alone in Dragonstone
This Easy Trick Will Make Your Mimosas So Much Better